The role of the Foster Care nurse is to be a health care consultant to ensure quality health care services for children and youth who are in placement.
Some of the examples of the activities that the Foster Care Nurse assists with include the following:
- Assess the health care status of children in placement based on the information received from Caregivers, Social Workers, Medical Records, Regional Centers, Community Agencies, and visits.
- Assist caregivers in accessing medical and dental services and obtaining Medi-Cal
- Assist caregivers with referrals to specialty care as needed
- Refer to community agencies as needed
- Participate in Child and Family Team (CFT) meetings or other meetings to ensure continuity of care